Professional Practices & Development
Virtual Workshop with Naomi Clement
"Thank you for the wonderful Professional Practices Workshop today. It was a wealth of information and gave me many avenues to attack for better promoting my work and getting organized. Thank you for sharing so much information!" Olena, Past Participant
Program Date: Coming Soon! Sign up for the waitlist here.
Price: $95.00 USD
Program Length: 4 hours
Class Size: 14 Students max
From daily production in the studio, to writing grants, communicating with galleries, and promoting and selling work directly, making a living as an artist requires perseverance, ingenuity, and grit. In this intensive, half-day virtual session, participants will be given a crash course in professional practices. This session will cover the basic skills involved in being a professional artist, including: navigating social media, writing artist statements, applying for shows and grants, approaching galleries, shipping work, and more.
In the first part of this session, Naomi will go over some basic professional do’s and don’ts, and discuss the standard documents and platforms that every artist should have if they want to pursue a professional career in the arts. This will be followed by some small group time so that participants can workshop their artist statements in smaller peer groups. Lastly, there will be a lengthy Q&A session where participants can ask specific questions and have more informal group discussions about issues they face.
Topics covered include, but are not limited to:
- General professional do’s and don’ts
- Setting artistic goals & writing artist statements, including different types of artist statements and their uses
- Artist fees & getting paid
- The basics of writing grants and applying for professional opportunities
- Navigating social media as an artist and figuring out who your market is, and how you want to talk to them
- Working with galleries, applying to shows & shipping work
- Residencies and other professional development opportunities