I finally mustered up the courage to glaze the teapots I posted about a few weeks ago, so I thought I’d share the results with you. I took some risks on two, and played it safer with the other two, and all in all, I’m pretty happy with the results. Personally, I like the turquoise one best, but I’d love to hear your thoughts!
I really had some fun decorating the grey and the turquoise one—using a combination of brushed and inlaid under-glazes, and dipped and trailed glazes. I’m looking forward to playing with these techniques even more in the next little bit, hopefully squeezing out a few more pieces for my MFA portfolio. I anticipate some more late nights ahead…
Purple Teapot (didn’t quite turn out as I’d hoped, but still nice)
Turquoise Teapot (my favourite!)
I had a stretch of three uninterrupted days in the studio last week, so I finally embarked on some teapots. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them—as I think many potters do—I love their complexity and the challenge of making them, but by the time I’ve attached the last handle, I’m honestly a little out of my mind.
For the uninitiated, teapots are so time consuming (and therefore expensive!) because of all the parts you have to make and then assemble. There are at least five parts in total—body, lid, spout, knob and handle—and I generally make several more lids, spouts and handles than I actually need, to ensure that I have lots of options when I’m assembling.
After I finished making this last batch, I posted to Facebook the following: “Dear friends: next time I agonize over what I should price my tea pots at, please remind me that they should be ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Thank you.”
I was only partly kidding.
Here are a few pics of my “Million Dollar Teapots”… I’m pretty happy with the results so far, but I’d love to hear what you think!
The four all together
I just love the knob on this guy.
First foray into an “over-the-top” handle.