Million Dollar Teapots?

I finally mustered up the courage to glaze the teapots I posted about a few weeks ago, so I thought I’d share the results with you. I took some risks on two, and played it safer with the other two, and all in all, I’m pretty happy with the results. Personally, I like the turquoise one best, but I’d love to hear your thoughts!

I really had some fun decorating the grey and the turquoise one—using a combination of brushed and inlaid under-glazes, and dipped and trailed glazes.  I’m looking forward to playing with these techniques even more in the next little bit, hopefully squeezing out a few more pieces for my MFA portfolio.  I anticipate some more late nights ahead…

New Glazes

The opening of a glaze kiln is sometimes likened to Christmas morning, which is a pretty apt description, as you are all anticipation and nerves, and are just as likely to be disappointed as you are thrilled.

Regardless of how many tests you do, the glazing process is still one of taking calculated risks… you have some idea of how it might turn out, but you’re rarely ever sure. That’s both part of the joy and the madness of the process. I’ve been doing a lot of tests recently as I was getting bored with some of my old glazes (I guess I must be a masochist, because as soon as the results start to get too predictable, I get bored with them… go figure). I’ve also started introducing some underglazes into the mix, which I’ve been enjoying, as it has been nice to start decorating at the bone dry stage.

So, here are some of my favourite results from my most recent glaze kiln—5 portfolio-worthy pieces out of 30, which in the ceramics world is pretty awesome. I’d love to hear what you think!