Learn How to Pack & Ship Pots Like a Pro!
Virtual Workshop with Naomi Clement
Course Length: 2 hours
"Shipping and packing used to be the main reason I didn’t put myself out into the world. I'm slowly getting over that fear, and this workshop was super helpful!" Janna, Workshop Participant
Are you new to selling work online and unsure of how to safely, effectively, and professionally pack and ship your pottery?
Have you experienced breakages when shipping in the past?
Maybe you recently started selling your pottery online due to Covid shutdowns, and you’re nervous about packing and shipping your pots.
Or perhaps you've been packing and shipping pots for a while now, but have had some breakages, and/or are looking to up your game on the branding & packaging front.
I would love to teach you how to safely and professionally pack and ship your pots, to give them the best chance possible when they get tossed around by the folks at the post office! I have packed literally thousands of pots in my career, and sadly I’ve lost quite a few along the way. I’d like to share my hard-won knowledge with you, and help you avoid disappointing and expensive breakages.
"Naomi is a packing boss! She's been shipping us pots for years, and there has never been a broken pot. One of the few artists we can say that about, which is impressive considering her packages are travelling all the way from Canada!"
Eric Botbyl, Owner, Companion Gallery
By the end of this workshop, you’ll know how to professionally wrap and pack your pots so that they reach your customers safe and sound. You’ll also learn the tips and tricks I’ve learned from years of packing and shipping pots (I’ve literally shipped thousands of pots in my career!). A printable resource list of materials used, and general rules of thumb will also be provided.*
Here’s what the workshop will cover:
- You’ll get in-depth, step-by-step demonstrations of how I pack all of my different pottery forms (mugs, cups, bowls, plates, pitchers).
- You’ll get a full list of the supplies I use to professionally and effectively pack and ship my pots.
- You’ll also learn how to properly ship larger, multi-item orders to galleries and exhibitions.
- We’ll talk about sustainable materials to use, and ways to decrease the carbon footprint of your packaging.
- You’ll learn different ways to add personal and distinctive branding touches, to make your packages stand out, and enhance your customer experience when unboxing.
- Learn how I deal with inventory to ensure that each customer gets the correct order.
And of course, there will be plenty of time for your questions!
Here’s what the workshop won’t cover:
While I would love to be able to cover every facet of packing and shipping work, this is just a 2-hour workshop, so it has a very specific focus. My area of expertise is in shipping smaller functional pottery, so the workshop is focused on that.
The following topics will NOT be covered in the workshop:
- Shipping intricate sculptures and very fragile pieces.
- Shipping large work that needs to be crated.
- Issues around shipping internationally, and dealing with customs: if time allows, I’m happy to touch on this, and what I have found to work, but it is such a complex issue, and differs for every country, so I can't guarantee that I'll be able to address your specific issue, though I will do my best to point you in the right direction!
This workshop was held live over zoom, and lasts a total of 2 hours. I go through all the ins and outs of how I pack and ship work, including demonstrations of these methods; this section lasts approximately 1.5 hours, with the remaining time being being a live Q&A. The recording is available for you to watch as many times as you like for 90 days after the workshop. There is also be a downloadable resource sheet with information on various supplies used in the workshop.
Note: this workshop is being fulfilled via my new e-learning platform Thinkific. Once you register, you will receive an email from that platform with further details on how to access the course and course materials. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions at all.
*Disclaimer: I am confident in the packing methods that I will be sharing with you (they are the same ones I use in my work after all!), however I cannot guarantee that they work 100% of the time. Despite our best efforts, sometimes boxes arrive that seem to (quite literally), have been put through the wringer. No amount of packing or precautions can account for these kinds of situations.