New Glazes

The opening of a glaze kiln is sometimes likened to Christmas morning, which is a pretty apt description, as you are all anticipation and nerves, and are just as likely to be disappointed as you are thrilled.

Regardless of how many tests you do, the glazing process is still one of taking calculated risks… you have some idea of how it might turn out, but you’re rarely ever sure. That’s both part of the joy and the madness of the process. I’ve been doing a lot of tests recently as I was getting bored with some of my old glazes (I guess I must be a masochist, because as soon as the results start to get too predictable, I get bored with them… go figure). I’ve also started introducing some underglazes into the mix, which I’ve been enjoying, as it has been nice to start decorating at the bone dry stage.

So, here are some of my favourite results from my most recent glaze kiln—5 portfolio-worthy pieces out of 30, which in the ceramics world is pretty awesome. I’d love to hear what you think!

Teapots in Progress

I had a stretch of three uninterrupted days in the studio last week, so I finally  embarked on some teapots. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them—as I think many potters do—I love their complexity and the challenge of making them, but by the time I’ve attached the last handle, I’m honestly a little out of my mind.

For the uninitiated, teapots are so time consuming (and therefore expensive!) because of all the parts you have to make and then assemble. There are at least five parts in total—body, lid, spout, knob and handle—and I generally make several more lids, spouts and handles than I actually need, to ensure that I have lots of options when I’m assembling.

After I finished making this last batch, I posted to Facebook the following: “Dear friends: next time I agonize over what I should price my tea pots at, please remind me that they should be ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Thank you.”

I was only partly kidding.

Here are a few pics of my “Million Dollar Teapots”… I’m pretty happy with the results so far, but I’d love to hear what you think!